View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 PM

Chad and Bob,

I totally missed that thread. Interesting idea. I started looking for a fish camp here in 1980. My best friend Frank Brown from Kentucky and I were going to buy one as a partnership. Instead we settled on buying land next to each other in the late 80's. His land is still here with no structures but I built a house on mine. Top on our list of criteria was it had to be on a trout stream. I ended up buying 11 acres with a trout stream running through it. Now, with all of the streams and rivers around here owning a stream is not as big a deal as it was back then. I lived in Nashville and it was a dream come true. I hardly ever go down there anymore. I prefer to drive an extra 10 minutes and be on the Middle Prong. At one time some guys got together and bought a camp on a tailwater nearby. The story I've heard, one of the buys ruined it for the others. He got caught there cheating on his wife. The camp folded soon after. People say one of the members bought it, he and his wife moved there and later he passed away. I knew him and a couple of the other original members. My friend Frank has a hunting camp in Kentucky. We spend a couple of weeks there every year during turkey and deer season. It is like a home away from home. There are liability issues to consider, insurance, buy/sell agreements and other legal things to think about. But it is an interesting concept. Land and cabins are expensive here, especially on the Little River. My experience on owning multiple homes or condos boils down to this. It's cheaper and more flexible to rent. Now, if you want to buy raw land to build a pavillion, have power and water, bring in a portajohn when people are there, and use it for camping that might be a feasible option.

Byron