Thread: Elkmont 3/3/08
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 01:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Elkmont 3/3/08

Okay... so I'm reading about how the hatches have started and Elkmont is heating up. Obviously, I had to check it out for myself. I spent the better part of this afternoon and evening at Elkmont. While I didn't see anything remotely resembling a "hatch", I did see a few bugs coming off at about 5:00 pm today. However, I did have some success drifting a new nymph through some fast water both up the Little River Trail and below Elkmont near the infamous "Pampers" slot. I tried about a dozen dry/dropper combinations, solo dries, solo nymphs and double nymph combinations.

Caught a few rainbows in succession, all 7" - 8" and feeding in relatively fast water off the bottom, and all on a new pattern my son introduced me to. It's called a Pogo and it's a breeze to tie. You can check it out here:
http://flyfishing.hook.tv/Clip.aspx?...3B9A3B9B450E39

I'm thinking about toying with it a bit, adding a copper or gold rib... but, on the other hand, why mess with success??

Still waiting for the prolific spring hatches so I can start throwing dries again. Here's a pretty good example of the early mountain bows.

Gerry