View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 PM

Default To the point

Snaildarter,

I'll have to admit that your questions gave me pause. I had to reflect on how I personally viewed those that participate in other aspects of fishing. I started out fishing as a bait and corn caster. I enjoyed occasional fishing and caught a few stockers. Then I started spin fishing in the Smokies and I haven't been back to the bait casting. As folks have said in many posts, a 5 inch native trout in the Smokies is a lot more fun than one three times that size in a stocked stream in terms of fight per ounce. And there's no comparison when it comes to surroundings. I was a rooster tail spin fisher for about 30 years in the park before I broke down and learned to fly fish last year. And my spinning rigs are now gathering dust in a corner of my study. As much as I enjoyed spin fishing, it doesn't come close for me to the challenge and fun of fly fishing. As I've evolved from bait to rooster tails to flies, I don't feel at all like I've climbed a social ladder. I've simply moved to a form of fishing that brings me so much more enjoyment than anything I've tried before. I'll never have a freezer full of fish with fly fishing but I've never had more fun.

I don't believe that I look down my nose at grabblers so much as it just doesn't appeal to me as a sport. Neither does roaring around a lake in a bass boat. For me, the quieter and technically challenging version of fishing that uses dry flies rather than 6 hook, jointed bodied 7" lures is simply more appealing. And it has nothing to do with social status so much as personal preference.

I'll also admit that next winter, I may dust off a spinning rig, go get a 1/8 ounce black rooster tail and go after a Little River brown.

Interesting that the examples of snobby, pretentious fly fishers seem to be more western in flavor. Maybe in our part of the world we're all bait fishers at heart with fly rods in our hands.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com