Thread: Mtnman
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman2888 View Post
I used it saturday underneath a pretty dense canopy in the middle of a national forest and it worked well. The signal was sent succesfully so i have no fears that it will work just fine in the smokies. If i'm not mistaken, it uses the same satellites that emergency officials use so i would think it would have to work about everywhere, although you never know.

Craig
As a GPS geek, I thought I would chime in on this subject. Most of the newer GPS receivers on the market today use the SIRF3 chipset (or something like it). Basically this is a HIGH SENSITIVITY chipset that gives outrageously good reception of satellite "coverage". The SPOT, from what info I could find, does not have this chipset or anything like it, so thick tree canopies could potentially be a problem. Regardless of functionality, this is a great piece of equipment to have and I would rather have it than not. Here is a link to a review of it:

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/01/s...nger_perso.php

The writer puts all the GPS receivers thru their paces very well.

MMORGAN, as a side note you may want to think of upgrading your handheld GPS to a newer model with the high sensitivity receiver in it. Tree canopies and being in the middle of the house can't stop the one I just purchased. I recently purchased the Etrex Venture HC with topo maps and get 11 ft accuracy in the middle of my house and I have had no trouble at all in the woods. On top of that, I have a 3D fix in less than 15 seconds from a cold start.