Thread: Rookie Question
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Hello All, It's been a while since I have been active here. I have been a prisoner to 8 beautiful women deep in the backwoods of the smokies. Ok, I wish!

Hey Raiderfan,

I have evolved my backcountry technique quiet a bit over the past couple of years. Here is what I do.

Pack- Depends on your pack weight. I don't like to wear mine while fishing even though my summer weight is < 20 pounds with food and water. Your going to #24 so you will have food in your pack. I walk up stream a ways and hang my pack with 50/50 cord. I then walk back down stream and fish up to my pack(repeat) if needed. A Pack on the ground with food can ruin your trip and most likely our backcountry furry friend will become a "dead bear" once he gets his first pack with food! Just saying..

Net- I don't use one...

Vest- I use a "Lanyard" Buy or make one. Very simple and easy.. Try it,you'll love it..

Wading Boots- I no longer wear them(except winter). I wear trail runners and remove the insert and my socks and put them in my pocket. The mesh of the shoes lets water escape very effectively and they dry quickly when hiking. I am a little more vigilant with my steps. Works for me.

Liteweight/mulitple use/minimalist approach is my moto. Back to the girls...

Good luck BRF!

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)