View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 02:13 PM

Question Come on now, put things into perspective....

I fish for trout in the mountains and in tailwaters, and I try to get as many trips out west as I can as well. I also ocassionally fish for warmwater species with the fly rod, but if my wife or dad is with me I will use spinning or baitcasting gear. Isn't it funny how most people think that where they fish or what they use is the hardest place and/or method.....I am typically a catch and release flyfisherman, but will keep some fish every once in a while if the wife requests it. And when I do it is usually warmwater fish since she doesn't like trout. I have seen people who typically fish the tailwaters get skunked in the mountains and vice versa. There are different approaches for each piece of water and if the fisherman is unable to adjust he will leave frustrated. Others say that tailwater fish are dumb and easy to catch, I have seen multiple reports on here from people (including myself) who didn't catch squat on the Clinch and South Holston. If somebody is accustomed to fishing the mountains and can't cast farther than 15' and uses 9' leaders while being stealthy will probably have less than satisfactory results on some of the more technical tailwaters. In contrast, if somebody who routinely fishes these technical tailwaters making long casts with 15' leaders and perfect drifts will have a hard time adjusting in the mountains. Each piece of water holds fish of different sizes. As somebody said earlier, catching 9" trout on the clinch does get old, but you must learn to change tactics/locations to focus on better quality fish. Hopefully the new slot limit will have the same results as what is seen on the SoHo. This simple lesson carries through in all types of fishing whether it be flyfishing, spinning, catfish, whatever. The way one person chooses to fish is their right, but we are all responsible for the maintenance and stewardship of the waters we love to fish. It is our duty to help to educate the youth of this wonderful resource we have and teach them to respect it and the fish that we all enjoy catching whether it is for food or fun......I look forward to teaching my son how to fish, and I would like to see him enjoy flyfishing. But teaching him that flyfishing is an elitist sport or club would be doing him a disservice.

I'm done now.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 06-13-2008 at 03:26 PM..