View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks Buzz...that's quite a difference, and I can't say I'm surprised. I think our power company generates most of its power from natural gas, and we all know what's happened to the price of that. As someone noted earlier however, power is bought and sold among these utility companies all the time, and TVA is the biggest player in the South - I wouldn't be surprised if our utility buys from them, no doubt at a premium price.

Anytime you are discussing huge public works like the TVA system, there's a series of trade-offs. It is like the levees down here - they keep the Mississippi out of people's homes, but they also deprive the vast marshlands of Southeast Louisiana of replenishing silt, so we're sinking into the sea, not to mention we've lost the buffer those wetlands provide when tropical systems come knocking. In this case, the tradeoff for flood protection and cheap power is the altering of natural river systems, and the fact that the new coldwater fisheries created are subordinate to power demands, etc. It's a tough situation, and I don't think there are any easy answers.