Thread: Alaska Trip
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 02:08 PM

Default Alaska Update

Alaska, what a great place! Fabulous views, lots of wildlife and fish.

My son and I spent a week fishing on the Kenai river and the streams which feed into it. This is water that comes from melted snow and ice in the mountains. Very cold if you take a swim. Weather was good all week. We used a guide three days and fished on our own three days.

The sockeye salmon were near the end of their spawning. Red in color and in every stream. This is an example.

We also had a medium distance encounter with bears on three different days, a black and two browns. Here is one joining us fishing on the Kenai.

We caught sockeye salmon (no fun at this stage of their life), pink salmon, silver salmon, rainbows, vardens and a couple of mountain white fish. We fished six of the seven days and caught fish every day until my wrist almost gave up on me. Didn't always have the camera with us. But here are a couple of photos.

Hope I have used the correct procedure to include photographs. If not, I will try again later.

The only negative about the trip was that it takes a long time in a airplane seat to get there and to return. And unlike the past, now the crew wants you to say seated. No roaming the isle or standing in the service area.

Last edited by irfishing; 09-12-2008 at 09:35 PM..