View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 05:40 PM

Default great reading re:tva

But......
1) I thought TVA was originally establised for power generation for Oak Ridge and Alcoa during WWII, with an after thought re: flood control, and the economics came second, or third. We had a war to win or there would be no concerns for the poor in this region or this country.

2) Is it true that hydro only accounts for 20% of the actual power TVA generates with the rest coal( one only needs to watch the coal cars coming in at Kingston steam plant and continuesly dumping coal while fishing for stripers in the winter)

3) Doesn't the Hiawassee have a warming problem every summer?

4) Knew Dave B. great guy, full of spit for someone about 5 foot nothing. A great fisherman and flytier. He used to fish something called a Clinch river midge.

5) I do believe TVA has lost some "focus" on the cold water fisheries it created many years ago. I would love to see some minimal flows on these rivers i.e. 250CFS constantly, if only during the summer months with water temps ups and lower DO. Somewhere in the back of my brain I remember water slowly coming out of the slucies on Norris when I started fishing there in 1986 and the fishing was incredible both in fish, size, and aquatic insects. (prior to some mysterious chlorine leak in the early 90's, which about killed the portion above the weir, but that's another story)

Thanks for the information, and passion on both ends of the spectrum. Now if we can channel all this energy to be a watchdog on TVA and help preserve the best trout fishing east of the Mississippi!