View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 01:46 PM

From Robert's article, I see that the spill has morphed from simply the largest of its kind to three times what we used to think was the largest of its kind.

And I also read that there is plenty of lead and thallium in the water. But again, those are filtered out of the drinking water, so it's just the animals, plants, and soils that have to absorb that gunk.

From the article, "Neither the TVA nor the EPA has released the results of tests of soil or the ash itself." How surprising. Need to wait for the public furor (what little there has been) to die down for a few weeks before releasing that data, I guess.

Also from the article:
---
Some nearby residents said that the TVA had done little to address their concerns.
"We're terribly frustrated," said Donald Smith, 58, a laboratory facilities manager who lives in the area. "It seems like TVA is just throwing darts at the problem, and they don't have a clue how to really fix it. It was nice that they came by to talk to us. They're making an effort. But what upsets me is they didn't have a plan in place. Why hadn't anybody thought, 'What happens if this thing bursts?' "
Residents said they were stunned by the new figures for the size of the spill.
"That's scary to know that they can be off by that much," said Angela Spurgeon, whose dock and yard are swamped with ash.
TVA officials offered little explanation for the discrepancy, saying the initial number was an estimate based on their information at the time.

---