View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 09:19 AM

Default Cheaper than one visit...

...to an Emergency Room is what I figured soon after taking up the "art" of fly fishing. I have one of the Simm's staffs that my wife bought me from LRO. It is great for testing the bottom to make sure the leaves in the Fall aren't covering a deep hole before I step in them. I also appreciate having the staff when it comes to dealing with snakes. I was climbing out of the river at Elkmont one afternoon and as I reached up to grab the roots of a tree that were growing out of the wall, it occurred to me that where I was about to place my hand was a great spot for a snake to be sunning. I reached up with my staff and rattled it around to scare off any snake that might be there. I waited a minute or so and grabbed the root to help pull myself up and as I did, lo and behold I saw the tail of a large water snake as he was making his departure from that very spot .

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton

Last edited by pmike; 05-21-2009 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: correction