View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 05:42 AM

This monster was quite a battle. I hooked him right against the far lock wall (in the back of the picture) and he immediately ran right at the lock doors. I heard Peacher say “What’s he going to do, knock on the door?” At this point he was into the backing, and then performed a high speed U-turn and ran straight at the boat. I don’t think I have ever reeled that fast in my life, and luckily kept the line tight. He then hung a left and ran out towards the middle of the river. When I finally got him to come up to the surface and we saw him for the first time, what a rush! Finally got his head in the net, and we both lifted him in the boat. After we got him weighed, photographed, and revived, I looked down and there was blood on the top of my left foot, and I saw where 4 of his dorsal spines had gotten me while I was getting him on the boga grip. Didn’t even feel it at the time, maybe I had a little adrenalin going. Big fish make you bleed! Any way this fish is my new personal best, edging out the 26 pounder I landed last summer. Of course then I had to call Flat Fly’n and brag a little.
If you catch a large striper, please take plenty of time to revive the fish before you release it. We have even held their mouths opened and moved around with the trolling motor. I have learned over the years that when they start biting down on your thumb, they are usually ready to go.