View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM

Tippet,
Making recommendations on a fly rod is kind of like making recommendations on a wife, what's right for one guy may not be right for another.

The rods you mentioned are quite different. I've never cast a Helio so I cannot make any knowledgable comment. I have cast the BIIx and the Scott G2 both in 5 wt. I bought the G2. I have a 9' 5wt. I picked it up used from a guy who wanted a faster rod. I like medium action rods.

I have a G2 in 3wt and 5wt and a Winston BIIt in 4wt and a number of lower end rods in various weights.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of fast action rods but a lot of guys swear by them so, like wives, rods are a very personal choice.

I've never cast an XP so cannot make a comment there either.

If you're in the neighborhood, I'd recommend stopping into LRO and talking with one of the folks in the shop. They'll rig up the rods and let you go out back to cast different ones until you find the one that is right for you.

If you're not close enough to stop in give them a call, let them know what you like, how you cast, what you're going to do with the rod and see what they would recommend. They will not steer you wrong. I can say from personal experience, the folks at LRO want YOU to be happy with the purchase and will do everything in their power to ensure you get what is right for you.

Hope this helps.
Jeff