Thread: Muskie?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 AM

I just got back from our annual trip to Canada and while we didn't catch as many Musky on the fly as we usually do we did boat quite a few. We use 8 wt rods, standard WF line or Bass/Pike Taper WF line, and a straight piece of 20lb hard mason mono for a leader. We have fished for Musky on the fly with similar rigs for close to 10 years and I can't think of a time we have had to put a fish on the reel or have lost a fish to cut leader. The hard mono really holds up well and as long as you check it after you catch a fish, at most you will only have to retie. We have landed fish 40"+ and while it would be nice to be able to let the reel do the work, I don't think it is necessary. I guess what I am getting at is if you have a basic setup to throw big flies, then go for it. If you are wanting to spend some money and get a specialized rig then the sky is the limit. As far as flies go, big saltwater type poppers and streamers will do the trick. We have good luck in stained water with bright colors and in clear water with white, black, white/blue colors. Here is a picture of one of the musky boated on our trip caught on an 8wt cane rod and large Bob's Banger popper.