Thread: Lake Erie Tribs
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:13 AM

Friday, November 6th: This is my last day on the stream. The weather will be nice but I'm not fishing the weekend crowds. I fished the same creek as Thursday: 20 Mile Creek on the PA/NY state line. My plan was to be the first person in the good fishing hole from the day before. I thought the high lake water and waves would bring in more fish. Woke at 5:45am. Left the house at 6:00am. Walking down the stream at 6:30am. Only 3 cars in the lot that early, so I figured I had a good chance at getting the good spot on the pool. Well . . . it was not to be. There was a person standing in the spot. Oh well. I knew a few other areas that were productive. The guy fished there for 2 hours and left.

Weather was partly sunny. About 45 degrees. No wind. Sun felt GOOD.

Had my best day of the trip. Hooked 15-20 fish and landed about ˝. Mid morning and late afternoon were the best times. Had some foul-hooked fish on top of those numbers. Early morning and lunch time were dead. I think b/c of the cold overnight temps (AM) and the high sun later (PM). Had two spans of about 2 hours each where I did not get a strike. I wanted to take a nap on the side of the stream.

During the day, I had 1 big fish hooked. I knew it was larger than normal b/c when the fish realized it was hooked, it did not jump. It 'rolled' in the current. When it rolled, I could see the side of the female fish: large and fresh. The 'head-shake' was also different. It did not jump out of the water, it dove head down into deeper water. I was not able to move the fish. It felt like a snag, After about 5-10 minutes (what seemed to be 5-10 minutes - my arm was tired), it starting moving up-stream and my line was frayed on a rock ledge. The end of that one.

Same flies as Thursday: Nymphs with flash on them, egg patterns, and sucker spawn. Dead-drifting w/o a strike indicator. Adjusting the split shot to get the drift right. Needed to play around to get it right.

I caught fish today (which was great), but some local PA people were frustrating. The people from out-of-town were good to fish with and speak to, but there were a lot of stupid acting people on the streams. Mostly people from Erie and Pittsburgh. Stream Etiquette was ZERO. If you start catching fish, they are right next to you. It also happened several times during the week on other streams. Here are some examples from Friday:

I was catching a few fish, this guy notices me and stands about 8 feet to my right and starts to fish. He did not make eye contact with me. I asked him politely if he was planning on fishing in that spot. He said: yes and still does not make eye contact. My comment was: "you are really going to stand THAT close to me to fish?" No comment again - stares straight ahead. The whole pool is open with just two of us there - this guy is 8 feet from me. I was frustrated. Once I swung my fly rod and fly line over his head a few times, he got the message and moved.

The next time time I caught 2 fish in a matter of 10 minutes. Now, two guys notice me and start moving in – like blood on a fresh kill. Now I have one guy on my right and one guy on my left about 10-15 feet on either side. The next thing I know - egg sacks and spinners flying by my head. The guy on the right is throwing upstream and the guy on my left is throwing downstream. I looked down to see the X pattern of mono line in front of me. I spoke to them (nicely). Didn’t get a good response. I was not moving. We had some tangled lines. They finally left.

The third time I lost my patience. Same as before. I hooked a fish and it took off downstream. After about 10 minutes, rocks frayed my line and the fish broke off. Meanwhile, this guy moves into the spot I was fishing at. The exact spot I was fishing at. I left my rain jacket and vest on the shore to mark my location. I did not want to leave any confusion for other fishermen passing by. Not a big deal b/c I needed to add more tippet to my line. I did not mind b/c it was going to take me some time to get rigged back up - let the guy fish there. So this guys proceeds to snag his lure on the tree on the other side of the stream. Then he starts to walk across the middle of the pool where ALL THE FISH ARE LAYING, to retrieve his lure. Well, I lost it for a minute. This guy was clueless. He just looked at me. At the end of my tirade, I told him to walk around the pool, up the bank to get his prized treasure. Then he left.

I still had a great time hooking and landing all the fish.

First Fish of the Day. My pink egg from the day before is one the rock. The guy from NJ gave it back to me. I should have resized this pic.

Nice belly on this one.

Bad shadows in this pic.

Little River Outfitters (LRO) on Lake Erie

Tried to get the start of the hooked-jaw and pink cheek

Beach houses overlooking a calm lake @ the mouth of 20 Mile Creek. Thought it was a cool pic.

Sunset and calm

Mark
<((((((><