View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 10:14 AM

Tad--Although Ian is a very knowledgable, astute, and observant angler, I would have to disagree sharply with hiss 2400-foot elevation statement. I'll give several examples, and I checked maps just to be sure. You are way above Bradley Fork's juncture with Luftee before your reach 2400 feet, and above Chasteen Creek on Bradley Fork before attainting that elevation. Lower Deep Creek is full of fish at all seasons and well below 2400 feet in elevation, and indeed the same holds true for the lower end (sometimes several miles) of almost every major stream on the N. C. side of the Park--Noland, Forney, Hazel, Eagle, and Twentymile Creeks. You can catch trout from the mouth right on upstream in all of them, even at the peak of summer heat. I think it's more a matter of flow, oxygenation, and other factors than merely elevation. Indeed, I think a strong argument could be made for expanded areas suitable for trout (and reduced ones for smallmouth) in Park streams over the past 50 years. The explanation is simple--once open areas where there were old fields now have ample overhead canopy. In truth, you'll find wild trout, even in the hottest days of summer, in almost all Park waters except lower Abrams Creek and maybe the lower Park reaches of Little River (though there are some browns in the deeper holes and 'bows in riffles in the latter). In short, my feeling is that if you are fishing almost anywhere inside the Park you are in trout territory. Jim Casada