View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 06:55 PM

John--You don't say how old your son is, but Cabin Flats is a pretty long haul (5.5 miles with 1,000 foot change in elevation). It is a beautiful place. On the fishing side of things, the stream size should be conducive to easy wading, but it will be pretty tight from a casting perspective. Getting there is no problem--just follow the trail.
When it comes to woodscraft (and again I don't know the age, and this is a factor), arguably there's never been a finer primer written than Horace Kephart's "Camping and Woodcraft." It is extremely long and 100+ years old, but other than changes in technology it is as relevant and helpful today as when it was first published. Incidentally, it is one of the ten bestselling outdoor books of all time, and it has never been out of print. The Univ. of Tennessee Press has a paperbound reprint for which I wrote a lengthy Introduction, and you can find it listed on my Web site. I have lots of problems with Kephart as a man, and even more with the tone and tenor of his best-known book, "Our Southern Highlanders," but he knew his woodscraft as few ever have.
As for books, are you looking for a general primer which covers everything from knots to casting techniques or a guide to how to fish small streams. Let me know and I'll make some suggestions.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com