Thread: eating trout
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Zach (and Lauxier)--The mixture of pecan bits and yellow cornmeal (the latter should be stone ground, I might note) is one I find really appealing. Although it has little to do with this forum as a rule, one of my consuming (pun intended) interests is food. My wife and I have written a bunch of cookbooks, all of them on wild foods (game, fish, and things like nuts and berries), and anyone who knows me personally will readily acknowledge my profile suits my love of food. Suffice it to say I'm unlikely to find cover behind a three-quarter-inch water pipe.
As for the taters, here's a tip you might want to consider. To get wonderfully browned pan potatoes, bake the spuds (or cook 'em in a microwave) before hitting the trail. They'll be fine for the first night's meal. Just slice them up, add a bit of streaked meat to the frying pan, let the meat start to sizzling good, the add the potatoes. They will rbown nicely, and if you like them a bit crispy, slice them then before putting them in the pan.
To me the ultimate Smoky Mountain backcountry meal features the following: Pan-fried trout, a ramp and branch lettuce (saxifrage) salad "kilt" with hot bacon grease and bacon bits (you can use some of the grease for cooking fish as well, fried potatoes fixed as per the above instructions, and cracklin' cornbread. The latter takes a bit of doing, not the least of which is procuring cracklings, but it can be done with a reflecting apparatus and some know-how.
For dessert, you can make a wonderful temptation for the sweet tooth using dried apples, dried peaches, or dried apricots. Soak them in water while you are out fishing, heat, top with crumbled Ritz crackers and brown sugar, dot with a bit of butter, and if desired, sprinkle a bit of rum in at the last moment. The nice thing about this dessert is that it is lightweight and good for backpacking trips, and the same is true of the rest of the meal (you get the fish, ramps, and branch lettuce from nature) except for the potatoes. I'll sacrifice the extra pack weight to have them though.
That's enough, I'm off to the kitchen for a hearty venison and lentil stew featuring ground venison and lentils with a few green chilis mixed in, some diced tomatoes, and a bit more heat from chili powder. Pure pleasure if you are feeling peckish on a cold winter's evening.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com