Thread: eating trout
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 10:00 AM

ukfb1--How about a big pot of pinto beans, or better still, October beans, cooked with a hefty chunk of fatback (streaked meat, side meat) or a ham hock? As for the cornbread, as I've already suggested I believe (since I talk about foodstuffs at some length in my January e-newsletter--shameless promotion, you can sign up to get it free by visiting my website--it may have been that I have in mind rather than this forum) that there's nothing quite like cracklin' cornbread. I'm probably not the only one here who has been part of raising hogs, butchering hogs, and rendering the lard. The latter is what produces the cracklings, and they give a pone of cornbread a college education.
Speaking of hogs, to my way of thinking you'll go a long way to find a dish that beats backbones-and-ribs cooked to the point where you can suck the marrow out of the rib bones. Also, maybe it's time for a quiz, since it is certainly too cold for anyone even to think about being astream.
Hogs will eat most anything, from oak mast to mushrooms, cushaws to candy roasters, pumpkins to red-rooted pig weed. They even roamed "No Man's Land" between the trenches in World War I and ate the flesh of the poor souls who died in Flanders Fields and elsewhere. Same thing in some of the big battles of the Civil War. That might be enough to put you off pork for awhile, but here's the question. There is one thing a pig absolutely will not eat, and it is something we humans consume with regularity. What is it? If you know the answer I'll guarantee you are as country as cracklin' cornbread.
With that, I better get busy doing something more productive but which will be far less fun.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com