View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM

After many trips to the Smokies, I finally gave in to the desire to fish the rivers. About four years ago was the first time my son and I fished in the park. After stopping at LRO we went fishing in Metcalf Bottoms. I thought to myself that a couple of novices have no chance of catching any fish. My son was about ten years old at the time, and it was his first experience with a flyrod. After about a half an hour or so, my son decided to fish toward the end of the long, slow run. He laid the fly right at the overhang of the river bank and shouted "I got one!" I thought to myself, yea, right, he's just hung up. To my suprise, he brought to hand a itty bitty 'bow. It didn't matter what the size, as long as he caught one. To make the experience even better, he caught that fish in front of Mom, Dad, and Grandma and Grandpa! We have fished the Park a couple of times since then, but have been skunked on our other trips. We fished a liitle on Thuunderhead prong during extremely low water, And tried to fish this past October but the rivers were flowing a little too fast for our taste. This is what makes for great memories! I can't imagine fishing in the Park without my little buddy along by my side. I hope we have many more trips together before he is grown and gone. Sorry to ramble on so long. flyguys