View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Default 1st Time

It is easy for me to remember the 1st time I fished in the park...I was a couple of years out of college and decided to head to the park for the 1st time in about 4 years. Like many, I had watched that Brad Pitt/Tom Skeritt movie and figured "what the heck, I'll give it a try. Looks easy enough!" So before I hit the road, I picked up a starter rod/reel combo from Galyans in Indy, got some flies and a vest, and figured I was good to go.

I stepped out into the water at Metcalf Bottoms, and immediately got tangled, caught in trees, and must have looked like a complete idiot. After about an hour of this, I decided that I'd had enough and went back to the hotel. Put the fly rod away and didn't even look at it again until I moved to ATL in 06.

Little did I realize at the time that I was using a 6 wt rod, and had flies that would have been best suited for bass or some other fish, not trout. I decided to get back into trout fishing after moving south and finding out that GA had trout streams/rivers, albeit with an ultra light spinning combo. Came back to the park and caught my first trout ever on a spinner, and have been hooked ever since. The diference now is that I have done my research and have the correct fly fishing equipment for an outing to NGA or the park, and haven't touched my spinning gear for over 2 years now.

Looking forward to heading back to the park in March...

Jeff