View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM

I wish I could post this anonymously. I will confess that I have had fun toying with trout on a plastic very similar to the trout magnet. One of my buddies who always told me how he would watch people slay the trout on the Davidson with a particular plastic. So one day he asked the local what he was using. He told him what it was and that he could get them at Wal-Mart in Brevard. He went and bought some and him and his brother wore them out. He said it was a joke how you could see fish run from the other side of the river after them. I joked on him for years about this until one day while on the Nantahala, we were just about to leave. He had drifted over a pod of 6 or 7 fish that didn't even look at his fly. He told me that the said plastic would probably wear them out. I told him I didn't believe him. He stripped a woolly bugger down to a bear hook, put the plastic on the hook, cast it out ahead of the pod of fish, and I couldn't believe it. Fish came out of unseen hiding places to attack this thing. They would grab hold of it, shake it around, and when it was pulled out of their mouth, they were so fired up, they honestly attacked some sticks and leaves that were floating past on the surface. It was unreal. We then cut the plastic in half and continued to toy with these trout and landed several. It was funny how this pod of inactive trout turned into a ball of piranha's when the said plastic hit the water. I haven't done that since but have often thought about it after leaving a pool that I knew held trout but didn't catch any out of. These were all stocked fish so I'm sure it would have been different on wild water but still. It was ridiculous. I felt dirty but at the same time I had to laugh.