View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Dawgvet,
Winter fishing in the park/ pre spring is a favorite time for me to fish the Park -simply because there's not many people around in the water execept us frozen fisherman. I mainly frequent areas between Metcalf Bottoms and Elkmont during the warmest part of the day with a winter flybox of mostly small PT's and Hugh's Blackbirds for nymphs and Little Black caddis and Blue wing olives for dries...
This being more a pre-spring situation with the quill gordons and blue quills sporatic already(and blue wing olives tapering off), I tied up some large soft hackles and dropped off of a much smaller pheasant tail....since the water was low and clear as glass, a small yarn indicator rig afforded the ability reach out up and across further and not wade into any sunny, shallow holding spots - normally I highstick but under these conditions I didn't want to do any unnecessary wading and spooking...
and unlike tail waters, I don't normally carry a net in the Park (hence the beaching) - but I'm thinking twice now
Appreciate ya guys...