Thread: Townsend Idea
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 PM

Hi MikeRob,

I have talked to the top people at TWRA about this. These people are my friends and their comments are honest and sincere. The Little River in Townsend, unlike Gatlinburg and Cherokee is mostly owned by residents who live on the river. Most of the deeds and surveys indicate those lots extend out to the middle of the river. Stocking a lot of trout and turning the river into a trophy fishery would attract more anglers and may cause more angler/landowner trespassing conflicts. Should a landowner and a angler disagreement go to court, stocking in Townsend would probably end. Right now we don't have many problems between landowners and anglers. We all co-exist together. But, stocking trout that are owned by the citizens of Tennessee in private water is really not legal unless landowners allow anglers to wade through their property. That is how it stands now.

In Gatlinburg, I think most of the banks and bed of the Little Pigeon are owned by business people. Trout fishing means good business. Business owners like that. I don't know about Cherokee but I suspect the Tribe owns the banks and streambed. On public water there is no conflict so these delayed harvest or catch & release regulations are good for anglers and the local economy. In Townsend, if you look around, most of the buildings on the river are homes. Most of those home owners are not in business in Townsend.

Byron