Thread: Peacock Herl
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 11:02 AM

Clarifications- I hope(:>). My reply was done while feeding Princess Jasmine and Aerial the Little Mermaid (aka. Hannah and Mallory my granddaughters) along with a flawed word processing program. In the first two photos, the flies "appeared" to be bulky. The second one "appears" thinner. (Good Tie, by the way)Two beginner mistakes that usually result in bulkiness are using lead too thick or winding too much lead or thread. The biot tail on the Prince appeared to tilt downward making me assume you had lead or extra wraps too far back.
I found that it works for me if I dub a very little fur at the base of nymph where I want to "control" the position of the tail-ex. biot tails on stoneflies or Prince. This similar to the how you tie the tails on dry fly spinners as PeteCz said.
The "Don't trust your whip finishes,". Should have read "If" you don't trust your whip finishes, after a tying session carefully put a small drop of Loctite glue on them. I picked up the whip finish tip from Deke Meyer. Try whip finishing with a tight wrap of 3 winds the repeat it. You "should" be able to get away from cementing the head (If you wish). I actually don't use head cement at times on some of my smaller flies.
I have personally still have problems with "crowding the head". Try moving your thread tie in point forward to where the head should start. Allow nothing to go forward of that point until you start your whip finish.
I phrased my points as questions you need to ask yourself as you tie. YOU have to be the one satisfied by your Fly. You probably will care more than the fish!! I'm in the process to tying 1 1/2 dozen Turck's Tarantula's for my time in the West. I used to be good spinning deer hair but haven't done it in a couple years. I've tied them up to placing the calf tail and deer hair, where I go to a heavier thread. I can guarantee I'll have to use my razor blade and do several "start overs" at the beginning. Most of them will not look pretty but the Cutt's will not care.
I would suggest sticking with a pattern or couple of patterns until you are consistently satisfied with it, then attempting a different style. I find that I do a better job of tying (and quicker) if I tie a couple dozen of one pattern at a time. I've seen several new tiers go from one pattern to the next then give up on tying as being "too hard" when they are not satisfied with their patterns.
Also, check out FlyfishOhio.com and Flyanglersonline.com, Flyanglersonline has a lot of excellent tutorials and Flyfishohio has some good video.
I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say. I didn't mean to come across as being negative. Those ties will do the job!
PeteCz- It was Science! I used to teach with some uptight English teachers.

Randall (I ain't got no good English) Sale
the Kytroutbum (:>)