Thread: Deep Creek
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I have to say that I was completely unaware of how much different Deep Creek is beginning with the trail itself. I am so sore today that I don't want to get off the couch.

I plan to hike in to 59 next. I assume that that hike is a little more forgiving to 38 year old out of shape fisherman!
"completely unaware"??... I don't believe I have read many reports about Upper Deep Creek, that don't start off with something like..."I had no idea how bad it was"..."its one of the toughest hikes in the park"...or "its not worth the effort"...

Anyone who is thinking about making the trip should do a search on the forum for "Upper Deep Creek" and read for yourself. Its not an impossible hike, but its very tough. The hike-in, combined with the lack of rain over the last two months is a recipe for lousy fishing...btw, the last mile up to US441 is over 800' of elevation gain...Besides, I think the best fishing on Upper Deep Creek is between May 1 and Mid June...just my observation...Jim C. probably has a better feel for it than me...

As for the hike to 59, its much easier, but it does have one good section of elevation gain that will get your heart pumping. The rest of it is similar to Little River Trail...but honestly, with the weather the way it has been, you might want to wait until the fall...

Just a suggestion

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."