View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 09:52 PM

On the subject of Salvelinus fontinalis increasing their range: does anyone have historic pH data. With tougher legislation on coal fired boilers and emissions, has the acid rain problem decreased? This is an issue in northern Appalachia, not sure about southern end of the range.

On the subject of poisoning a stream to re-introduce a native species: If the species is not endangered, why?! The SABT is not only NOT endangered, it's NOT even threatened. I'm as big a native advocate as anybody, but this makes little sense to me. How many miles of stream does the SABT inhabit? Are 10 more (guess) miles going to make or break the species?

Look at the paiute cutthroat in California, a fish once listed as endangered and now listed as threatened. A group of environmental "nut jobs" filed a lawsuit in 2004 to stop the rotenone treatment, has once again filed a lawsuit to stop the treatment.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/06/17/28157.htm

The only remaining native watershed is now closed to fishing while this thing gets worked out. I plan to hit a nearby stream, with a transplanted population, at the end of the month to add this species to my native life list.

Mr. Casada,

I look forward to your book! I can recommend (I'm sure you've already read these) a couple of books from my library:
  • Brook Trout by Nick Karas
  • An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the World by Anders Halverson
Also, the Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture has a compilation of data from multiple state, federal, and public agencies.

Chris

Last edited by WVBrookie; 07-08-2010 at 06:32 AM..