View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Default New to Fly Fishing

I have been an avid fisherman my entire life (grew up on the big pigeon fishing for smallmouth) and have trout fished a good deal on spin tackle for the past 10 years, but I am new to fly fishing. I decided to give it a try at the urgings of my brother-in-law (who doesn't fish that much). Well, after 5 trips, and only 9 trout, I am addicted. I have found it to be much easier than I expected, although there is still room for MUCH improvement, haha. I count it as a positive when I manage to only hook three trees per trip .

I have read Jim Casada's book on fly fishing the Smokies from cover to cover and have found it to be a tremendous resource for my new-found addiction. I hope to learn more from this board, as I am sure I will have a gluttony of questions for you guys since my brother-in-law is only a casual fly fisherman who relies on his uncle for information.

I feel that any introduction is half-empty without some brief personal info, so I am 26 years old, married and have two little boys, ages 4 (this one is fishing crazy) and 2. I live in Newport, TN, manage a small hotel in Gatlinburg and am an English major at The University of Tennessee (yes, my plate is full and yes, I do somehow find plenty of time to fish). After undergrad I plan to pursue my masters in English and teach writing and literature courses at the community college level. I also do some freelance writing on the side (my dream gig is to be an outdoor writer).

Now that I have introduced myself in my typical long-winded fashion, I am glad that I found this board and hope to be able to learn from and contribute to this forum.

Derek