View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 01:09 PM

Blanks are expensive but you can get bamboo for alot less. If you want genuine Tonkin cane that is used for "traditional" bamboo rods, you will need to order it from either Goldenwitch, Demarest, or Andy Royer. Goldenwitch will sell you a sample pack for something like $69 and is enough to build a couple traditional hexagon rods. That is about the best deal for the real deal cane. I think Demarest will sell you a minimum of the three 12' culms at about $120 plus shipping. But for a poor man's quad, most people go to the big box stores and buy bamboo used for tomato or garden stakes. It's not the real deal but it is still bamboo and gets the job done. I was fortunate enough to meet a generous builder in town that gave me a culm that he said wasn't "good enough" for one of his rods and let me practice on it. I think I made four or five PMQ's from it and also my first hex. Next time you are at one of the big box stores, head over to the garden section and see what they have in stock. If you can't find anything there, send me an email or PM and I might be able to hook you up with some extra pieces out of my discard pile.