View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 AM

Gary,
Caney is deceptively swift, just not a lot of rocks to create riffle areas. You're right on the meanders though.

Superfly,
I need to downsize my boat collection. I currently have a 13' Riverhawk (like a Gheenoe), and 14' raft w/ fly frame, and 2 person inflatable pontoon. I need to sale 2 of the 3. For the Caney, the jet jon would be the fastest but too me it is the least fisherman friendly. The Arkansas style jons add lots of space, but storing them is a problem (20' long boat plus trailer tongue equals very deep garage needed). The Gheenoe is a good comprise but you suffer on the draft slightly.

My inflatable pontoon is to be set up for a motor, however it would be slow compared to the above boats, but would give you the most flexible boat, if you plan to hit other rivers.

Rafts and drift boats are pretty much downstream only boats.

Since you already have a kayak, might want to check out the Jackson Coosa, which would give you the ability to stand-up and it is made here in TN too.

No such thing as a perfect river boat, just perfect boats for certain sections of certain rivers.