View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 PM

I spose that an explanation of what happened many years ago in Maine is in order.

Unfortunately many ponds and streams going to and from were polluted by the "bucket brigade" that introduced small mouthed bass and sunfish to their favorite native genetically pure never stocked pond "to enhance their fishing opportunity.

The State responded by using rotenone to kill the entire pond of all fish; sometimes multiple applications THEN they re-stocked with hatchery brookies. Over time they found these hatchery fish were poorly suited and did poorly.

The State's next response was to isolate pure brookies in another pond and propagate them in a hatchery for use in "re-claimed" ponds... The results were mixed.

Years went bye and the biologists with financial grants from TU "bring back the natives program" funded with the Cold water conservation fund started looking at genetics on a pond by pond basis... the studies were interesting because there were often HUGE genetic differences in populations of pure original fish in waters that were very close to one another.

Consideration was then given to the water bodies.... Most people then speculated that original pure stocks had ADAPTED to their particular watershed and that is why they often did not do well when used to re-polutate a water body that had been re-claimed.

This is why I cherish the genetic of the fish that inhabit a very particular piece of river, stream or pond.

I am aware that studies here have shown no huge increase in the number of brookies in several places even after the fishing was closed for many years. When I suggested a water be closed to protect a genetically unique brook trout it would be when few of these gems remained.

What happened in Maine was a long learning curve marked by years of trial & error and good intentions. After considering what had been poisoned into extinction fisheries personel became more careful when they applied poison.

I learned to fish and love rivers as a boy on the NEW RIVER in North Carolina; I moved to Maine 25 years ago because there was great trout fishing and left because it's just too ****ed liberal for me.

We didn't move here to change anything but to celebrate the fact that our personal values totally reflect those of the people here in East TN.

I'd be honored to fish with any of you but I'm physically incapable of fishing hike in streams or places full of huge boulders due to a serious foot injury 20 years ago.

Fact is I have osteomylitus in my right foot thanks to an ARROGANT MAINE doctor who repaired it last December. This december a very nice and extremely talented TN doctor save it.... I have an enormous hole in my foot and I'm attached to a 24/7 antibiotic until mid-march and even then I may still lose the ****ed foot.

The ONLY reason I'm trying to save it is so I can wade fish.

Just a thought on "fisheries management"..... might it be prudent to make it a law that all rainbows and browns in certain waters be creeled upon catch?