View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Default New Smyrna Mosquito Lagoon

Do a search on the message board for "New Smyrna Beach". I went there last June and received several replys to my post about access points etc. My experience was that the surf fishing was pretty rough for the gear that I had, but I caught a few whiting and baby redfish. I really needed a bigger surf rod with more weight. I did wade fish a couple of days in Mosquito Lagoon. Caught several catfish, but no trout, redfish, etc. By mid june it is pretty hot down there so the redfish etc didn't seem to be in the wadable sections of the lagoon. If I had it to do over again I would either get a guide or rent a kayak if $ is an issue. If you search some of the kayak fishing boards, you may be able to find someone who will rent you there already geared up kayak. (I had some offers for this in Tampa before). I found myself looking over my shoulder for alligators most of the time I was wading. I did see a bunch of manatees which was cool. It is a huge lagoon and wading is better than not fishing, but it is hard when there is so much water you can't get to. Good luck