View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Just a side thought, but with proper management the clinch could more then likely sustain itself. However, it would take a massive shift in regulations, and a complete clean out of the anderson county human gene pool to be
successful.

I say the state should manage our hatcheries, and sell a trout harvest license. This license should cost enough to support the hatcheries, and the funds solely used for those purposes.

Here's another thought, stop stocking catchable sized fish, they are more expensive to raise. Stop stocking sub par rivers/streams as put and take. Raise only fingerlings, and only stock them in waters which can support trout year round with no exceptions.

Seems simple enough to solve if you ask me.
Waterwolf,

I don't know how many of you folks are familiar with hatchery operations. My wife and I were going to buy a hatchery in southern NC , near Hayesville back in 2007. Then the drought hit and we backed out.

But, I had to do a lot of research on the operations of it before hand to make a sound decision. We we're going to upgrade the tanks and fresh water flow system, and things like that to make it more viable.

What I found out was the enormous amount of labor and around the clock care that absolutely had to be given to the fertilized eggs and hatchlings.

Antibiotics at precise times to help them survive, and proper nutrion, come **** or high water. Certainly, from there, raising them to 10 or 11 inches was also expensive.

But a viable hatchery operation must rely on fertilized eggs from brood fish, because having them shipped in leads to a lot of dead eggs on arrival, not to mention the ones that die later on, and its expensive.

So you need to raise a percentage of the eggs to mature stocking size anyway. Then, there is only so much life span left in a mature brood fish, so you have to turn them back to nature, which puts trophy size fish in the rivers, and start new with maturing brood fish. Its a never ending cycle of birth and rebirth.

Now I can't tell you what the costs are down the road in a stocking program, but I can tell you that there will always be stocking size fish that need to go into the wild, rather than keep on feeding them at an ever increasing expense.

But I agree with you in that put and take seasons on non-viable rivers only serve to shore up the idea of entitlements, if you get my drift.

If the fish can't survive in their natural habitat, then why stock them. It's a waste of resources.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather