View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benintenn View Post
I know I'm prolly in the minority here but I would be ok with a small fee as long as they can guarantee the money would go toward backcountry enforcement. I've read the pure outrage on other boards about this and you have some strong opinions on both sides.

If I spend $300+ on fishing gear, $400+ on backpacking gear, and $50 on a Fontana shuttle, then I think I can handle $4/night. Personally, I'm tired of finding sites trashed and maybe, just maybe an extra ranger might be able to bust the violators.

I saw some pictures online of the bear cables on Hazel Creek loaded down with coolers and massive amounts of food brought in by carts. That has to be some sort of food storage violation. I can only imagine the amount of trash that was produced and some probably didn't make it back out.
I agree as long as the money is well spent. The $10 option is too high IMO, but 4-5 bucks is reasonable, as long as they enforce the rules at the highly used areas, maybe it would even reduce their use a little which wouldn't be a bad thing at some sites. There is a cost associated with maintaining BC sites, maybe not nearly as high as FC sites, but a cost just the same.

Neal