View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Default Flat bottom or V-Hull??? Or does it matter...

Okay, It has been a while but I am getting to the point now where I am actively looking for a boat (under$1,000 preferably) and have run into a bit of an issue.

First off, I should say that my primary body of water would be the Caney Fork River, but I would take it to the Elk some, as well as out East to the smokies from time to time. That said, 75% of my fishing in this boat will be done on the Caney, Elk, or a lake.

Now, the problem is that I have received conflicting advice about whether to buy a flat bottom jon boat or buy a v-hull. Both are looking pretty doable for $1k or under (with some work needed), but I have been told that both have advantages and disadvantages (understandably). I just seem to be unclear as to what they are.

I would love it if someone could say "this boat is the best for what you need". Period. I think that it is going to come down more to personal preference though.

That said, what are some of the pros and cons of a flat bottom jon boat versus a v-hull? 14', 42" wide is what I am looking for. Thinking that the Caney Fork will see most of the action with my boat.

Thanks for the help guys.