View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Default Bonefishing in the Turks and Caicos

While down in the Turks and Caicos on the Island of Providenciales, I booked a half day Bonefishing trip. The weather the day of the trip was 85 degrees and partly cloudy with a 5-10 knot breeze. I met my guide Arthur Deane at the dock on the western end of the island at 8:30 and we headed out at 8:45. We ran wide open to the flats and I got my "rudd" as Artuhr said it, together while we headed out. We were poling the flats just 20 mins. later.
I tyed on a Crazy Charlie in white/pink size 6. Once I was on the same page as Arthur about direction and distance he put me on the Bonefish. I spooked the first 4 fish we saw before I hooked into my first one. Man what a rush! He zipped out my float line instantly and was deep into the backing in seconds. Love that sweet sound of line draging off the reel! The Bonefish would run and I would then reel in, back and forth 4 or 5 times till I tired him out and brought him in close to the boat. Just as I went to put my hand under his belly, my hook straightend out and the Bonefish was gone! Ahhh! Frustration and laughter! Arthur said "no worries, more bones to catch."
I switched to one of Arthurs' Crazy Charlies in white/red size 6, "a stronger hook for shure" he said. I cast out and missed two more, then hooked up to another one. This Bonefish ran faster and pulled harder than the first one. Brought my first Bonefish to hand after a solid 15 mins. of running and reeling. We poled around for another 30 mins. before we spotted them again, the clouds were making them hard to spot. Then Arthur said "12 o'clock 30ft.", I cast right to them and instantly the Bonefish took the fly, he ran almost all my backing out, and then slack! The Bonefish spit out the fly, he had to have dislodged it on the run.
A few moments later I hooked into my second Bonefish. My second take was one I had spotted from the bow of the boat, and cast to before Arthur had said anything, I paused on the strip to let the Bonefish see the fly, then strip pause, strip pause, strip, strip, strip and he took it! After a few runs and a couple of knuckle busters, I had him to hand. What a great rush!
The clouds seem to roll in just as I seemed to have it all clicking for me, spotting, casting, and most importantly strip setting the fly. We moved on to another flat and poled around for another hour before we spotted another Bonefish. Arthur spotted one and put me within 50ft. and I cast right to him. The Bonefish charged the fly, took it instantly and streaked off! I could not let the slack out fast enough to get the bend in my rod before he broke me off! That Bone pulled like a train on the 12lb. tippet, it just wasn't enough. After I finished laughing at my frustation, I was tying on another fly, Arthur said "that bonefish was 3 times the size of the others I had brought to hand, and it would have been pushing 15lbs. It truly was the king of that flat we were on."
At that point we only had about 15mins. longer before heading home. We didn't spot anymore bonefish in those last few moments, but I had the experience of a lifetime and made a lifelong friend in my guide Arthur.
What a great first experience with Bonefish and first time out with a guide.

Headed Out

My first Bonefish

Second Bonefish

Headed Home

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."

Last edited by bigpopper; 10-14-2011 at 11:47 PM..