View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 02:33 AM

Default Stocked trout in the Holston

Corbo,
It is not exactly true that most trout placed in the Holston die. It could be said that most trout in the lower part of the river die, especially down as far as Nances Ferry. Last year for example, the fish survived for a mile or two below Indian Cave. It is usually about half way down the river that fish get enough oxygen to survive through the summer and fall. I have not heard of anyone catching fish any farther downstream this Fall than Indian Cave. We'll know as people get back later in the year to fishing these lower sections.
You asked about brown trout , You heard in the Tailwater License Permit discussion about some of the bad decisions that TWRA makes in stocking fish. This one is a dilly and one that I have talked with TWRA about several times at their Regional Office in Morristown. I beg for them to stock more browns and this is what I always get back from them. They tell me that they don't raise any browns in the State Hatcheries and they have to get them whereever they can,ie. Dale Hollow Federal Hatchery or Wolf Creek Hatchery in Kentucky. They tell me they have to wait and see if they have any leftover and they get whatever is available. Since I have already talked about how we lose fish at Nances Ferry because of the water getting too warm and how it is so hard to get brown trout, this takes the cake!!! This year they did a stocking at Nances Ferry in June of several thousand fingerling browns. This would have been a great asset to the upper part of the river, but every last one of the fish were lost due to pure ignorance on someone's part. These browns would be getting close to 12inches long by May of this coming year if they had been stocked in a part of the river where they might have survived. As a guide, and a person who loves this river, you can imagine how I felt at seeing this kind of mismanagement and waste. The Holston is like any other tailwater. It has good points and bad points, but good management would help tremendously in the long run.
Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Hartsell; 10-21-2011 at 09:33 AM..