View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
But why would you commercially harvest catfish on some of these lakes that have consumption regulations on them due to PCB's and mercury? I dont have the regs in front of me but I know Melton Hill has either a ban or advisory not to eat the catfish. Would they advise you not to eat it, and then let commercial interests sell it to you without you knowing where it came from and that it is contaminated?
Still probably safer than eating that chinese farm raised stuff, but still seems wrong.
From TWRA's fishing regs/guide:

Melton Hill - PCBs, Catfish should not be eaten

Tellico - PCBs, Mercury - Catfish should not be eaten

Watts Bar - Tennessee River portion (38,000 acres) - PCBs -Catfish, striped bass, and hybrid (striped bass-white bass) should not be
eaten. Precautionary advisory for white bass, sauger, carp, smallmouth
buffalo, and largemouth bass.*

Watts Bar - Clinch River Arm (1,000 acres) PCBs Striped bass should not be eaten. Precautionary advisory for catfish and sauger.*

Norris Reservoir- (Powell River embayment not included in advisory)(15,213 acres) - Mercury -Precautionary advisory for largemouth bass, striped bass, smallmouth bass, and sauger.*

* Precautionary Advisory: Children, women who might become pregnant, pregnant women, and nursing mothers should not consume the fish species named. All other persons should limit consumption of the named species to one meal per month

Old Hickory and Cordell Hill are not included in the list in the regs.