View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 01:48 PM

Default Good subject....

...and a sweet post. I recall my earliest fishing experience took place in my birthplace of Manatee County, out at Myakka State Park. In anticipation of the upcoming picnic and fishing venture, my Pappa (maternal Grandad) took my brother and I out behind his property in East Bradenton to cut several bamboo poles from a stand that grows back there to this day. Pappa used some old friction tape to fasten a wire hook to each of the bamboo shafts on their slender, top end. He then hooked those wire hooks over the top wire on the power lines in front of his house, (did I mention, "DON'T DO THIS AT HOME" ). Pappa had also fastened a brick or a piece of a cinder blok to the bottom end of the bamboo to weight the poles so they would dry straight. The power company dispatched a truck and the fellows fussed at my Pappa about the possibility of electrocution, laughing to themselves at the same time. No sonner had they left, Pappa went back out and rehung the poles.

Needless to say by the time we used those poles, they were some of the longest and straightest poles to be found. We used them on numerous picnics and caught a few stringers full of bream...yet nothing has been more precious than the memories that surrounded the entire process, oh and my Mommas fried chiken n her German Chocolate cakes

Thanks for the post Jim and the suggestion, I plan to check it out!

God Bless,
Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton