View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM

Default First Trip of 2012

I decided to take advantage of the winter heat wave we are having and do a little fishing today. I chose a lower elevation stream hoping the water would not be too cold for a little wild trout action.

The forest road gate was closed, so I had to walk a mile uphill before I could start fishing. That was grim reminder of how out of shape I am.

The first fish of 2012, caught on the second cast of the day. What a beast.

Considering it's January, the fishing wasn't too bad. All fish caught were pretty small, but I caught a bunch of them.

This dude is a runner. I was 5 miles upstream and one tributary away from the nearest stocked waters. He has done some traveling and is now trying to blend in and live among the wild trout, such a poser.

I fished a dry/dropper all day, with most fish being caught on a BH hair's ear nymph. I caught a few on the dry and had a lot strikes on the dry. As normal for this time of year, strikes were subtle and a quick hookset was critical. I missed several fish due to slow hooksets.

I had a lot of fun and it was a great day to be on the stream. 64 degrees in Western NC in January, at 3500 feet elevation, you can't beat that.