Thread: Lower Clinch?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Neal,
I did not think you were condescending me. I just wanted to clarify to others that may not know my personality that well. Thank you for your kind response and I did not think you owed one...

I like your strategy; it is stealthy and selective. Nice for trout fishing as well...

Blessings bud...

I have seen striper almost every trip that I have drifted. Also; see tons of carp and some large ones at that....However; I have never hooked one. I am sure that would be a huge fight and a task to land.

One thing to note after reviewing hours of underwater videos. It seems to me (based on sample observation of videos):

• More striped bass are moving upstream and populating the lower 1/3 tailwater and holding over during non generation.
  • More warm-water fish (spotted bass/gar/bluegill) are being noted in the upper tailwater. (I have several of them on my current YouTube Videos) Also; I caught my first small spotted bass at Miller's Island a month ago...
  • Less intermingling of trout type in the lower 1/3 of the tailwater. Compared to the upper tailwater.
  • Brook Trout are noted in 80% of the upper tailwater video and about 20% in the lower tailwater video.
  • Medium to Larger (14-16") Rainbow Trout seem avg in the lower 1/3 of the tailwater.
  • Brown trout are becoming less prevalent on all parts of the river. I wish TWRA would institute a non-harvest on them for a year or two.
  • Fish from Peach Orchard down seem to be more edgy and generally do not reset as quickly in a feeding lie as they do in the upper 1/3 of the tailwater. (My brother caught a 19" spotted bass at P.O. this summer)
  • Many fish in the upper 1/3 of the tailwater have broken line/tippet trailing in their mouth. (we need to work on our tippet knots and fish landing techniques)
I have been organizing my videos and I plan on adding several new ones in the next week or so to my YouTube Channel [link in my signature].

I hope this information is interesting to some and that others may add their own observations so that I can digest them as well.
One of the problems we noticed over the past few years is the river level is staying higher longer on the lower river. How does this add to what you’ve noticed would be only speculation
The higher levels are due to TVA running more water during generating times due to the increased efficiency of the generators at higher flow levels as well as increased discharge times for the pulse (They use to run for around 45 minutes now they run around 1 ˝ hours), the weekend flow rate is also causing higher levels on the lower end (You use o could wade there all day, even with the pulse-no more)
Add in the change in the level of Norris is kept higher in winter months due to several factors and the entire average yearly environment of the river is changed
(Note I have hooked into a few muskies just up river of the Hwy 61 bridge fishing streamers, but I have never landed one)