View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Oh Lord this brings back memories of my youth when my father hooked me up with an old fellow who would take me up to the Pocono Mtn's of north east PA once or twice a year to fish for trout in very clear water.

The streams were usually small with a tight canopy that made casting difficult... I of course being a kid wanted to cast and lost far too many flies to the trees but was grateful for the opportunity to go along.

His technique was to use shot on a tag from the blood knot ahead of his tippet... the shot was the old fashioned kind that crimpred on with pliars and fairly small... I'd guess no larger than 1/8 diameter and if he didn't think he was getting down enough he would keep crimping more on next to the others. Sometimes a second fly was attached after the shot.

We both fished "traditional wets" but he would wade out to about knee deep (which worked for me as only owned rubber soled hippers) and holding his rod tip high he would strip off line to allow his rig to drift downstream or use a horrible roll cast to pay out line. He would then lower his rod tip until it virtually touched the water allowing the rig to swing deep into the run. This was more or less "trolling" but we did catch fish.... I was sort of disappointed as it was not what I had in mind but at least I was sorta flyfishing.

He would try to work every part of the run before selecting a new spot to fish and he did catch fish which were virtually all freshly stocked.

Wiggling the rod tip a little bit helped entice strikes.. On many occassions the water was so clear that I could see the fish dart for his dancing wet flies if I stood on the bank below him. These were very stubborn stockers that would stack up like firewood in many places (easy to see them) and it would still take a while to enduce a strike.

It was not very glamourous. Perhaps this is why I like fishing BIG water instead of small "intimate" waters.