Thread: Andy Brasko
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Brasko View Post
Hi Hugh & Corbo:

Let's take a stroll a long time ago, the scene is Theodore gordon moves to the Catskills and fishes streams like the Willowemoc, Beaverkill, Esopus Creek and the Neversink. What type of fly is he using, a classic wet fly that was the norm for his era an extremely big acoss the pond in England and where abouts. So one day he starts noticing that while making the first cast with a wet fly, the fly just barely hit the water and he gets a strike. Not sure he he caught a Trout, but the point here he learned a thing or two. Then he starts fishing wet flies up stream and stripping the fly line at the speed of the stream and start catching fish, So why is this important. Because this is where Gordon starts learning the first basic ideas of Dry fly fishing. Gordon has numerous talks with G.E.M Skues and Halford. Skues at this time is considered a rebel because of his theory on nymphing and that color plays and important part in catching fish. Halford hears Gordons stories and sends his dry flies that Halford fishes with on the chalk streams ( slow moving really no riffles and such). Gordon when he receives these flies realizes the fly will not float and get pulled under current by the tougher Catskill streams. Gordon goes on a 5 year mission and developes the first origional Catskill dry fly and is believed to have thrown it on the Beaverkill that is now marked with a sign next to the Beaverkill covered bridge today. The fly by gordon was the Quill Gordon that took about 5 years to create that he is satisfide with. Gordon went in search of feathers that were stiff and durables that could with stand the tougher streams of the Catskill. So from this era, Christianson comes about and see's Gordon's flies and later Rubin Cross a little further down the Road LaBranch and the Dette's and Darbee's are about as well as John Atherton and Lee Wulff. Also you can see Bergman about who also loved wet flies and Dry flies. The Dry fly Era was born and the wet fly started dying a slow death. But the funny part is that the supposed father of the Dry Fly was really a wet fly fisherman. Tomorrow night I will post again and start talking about wet flies and why this dying art is not practiced today and how really affective are the Bergman wet fly collection on Trout really is. Until I start breaking this down with detail and experience I will tell you the patterns found in Bergman's book are highly affective. We will also talk about what some of the patterns imitate.
Andy,
I am enjoying this topic. I think my greatest strength fly fishing is with wet flies and a 'dynamic' method of fly fishing. There are many days when I absolutely kill it on wet flies. However; it is not my favorite type of fishing. I truly enjoy stalking a trout with a dry fly and watching the take. I would rather catch one fish a day on a dry fly than 30 fish on another.
to choose, to respond, to change.”