View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM

Nobody in my family fished or hunted,but back in the late sixties and early seventies the outdoor magazines had articles by real hunters and fishermen who became my mentors.That would not work for a kid today since the hook n' bullet magazines are more about "venues" and the latest expensive gear and ethics are no longer discussed.I had fished with a cheap Eagle Claw glass 7wt using a level line and caught many bass and bluegills over the years but when I decided I to catch trout with flies instead of Kountry Kist corn in 1988 my mentors became John Gierach and Don Kirk.I had just returned to Ft Campbell after 6 months in the Sinai and with all the money I had saved up during the deployment I went to Cumberland Transit in Nashville ans got a Sage 4711LL rod and a Hardy LRH reel and line and a good tapered line and backing,and the two books I bought were Trout Bum and Kirk's GSMNP trout book.

Kirk's book is outdated now but back then it was a very useful primer and Trout Bum is as relevant today as when first published.I started tying in 1991 after ETS'ing from the army and AK Bests Production Fly Tying,Jack Dennis's Western Trout Fly Tying Manual,and Randall Kaufmans Fly tying book became my mentors in that endeavor.The Creel in Knoxville was the only shop back then and those guys were great.

I remember meeting Byron at a TU tying class in 94 and he told me that he had bought the fishing store in Townsend.I mentioned that I had been there and the shop sold mostly spinning gear and worms and he said"oh thats gonna change".Boy,did it ever,we are very fortunate to have both the park and such a great shop so near to Maryville.A kid wanting to learn now could get a great start from the great guys(you too Paula)who work at LRO.I do miss Dubbing hangin' out at the shop and hope the rascal is doing well.