View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 AM

Lightbulb DIY: Trolling Motor Tips

Unfortunately; I have become very experienced with repairing trolling motors over the past decade. I thought I would share some of my tips and insight in hopes that it helps others. In my opinion MotorGuide is a much better built trolling motor than Minn Kota.

Also; I welcome any tips from others on this board to share!

• Always use heavy gauge wire when running from battery to motor. I like to buy high quality jumper cables and cut the clamps off. Sears has some excellent 'door-buster' sets for cheap if you keep your eye out.
  • Install a 60amp fuse in line.
  • Buy a battery large enough to only be drained down to 45-55% of capacity after normal use.
  • Charge heavy 10-15 amp immediately after each use.
  • Buy a decent digital battery charger with deep cycle mode (10-15amp). ~$60 *Note; if you use an extension cord; make sure it is a short cord and heavy gauge as to not restrict voltage or to cause a fire hazard.
  • Worn brushes are usually the culprit of faulty motors. $15 for a set online + new O-ring gaskets is an easy fix.
  • The motor housing has an up & a down side; even though it will fit easily either way. If you get this wrong; it will go in reverse in fwd mode-vice versa.
  • You can make a propeller clutch by removing the shear pin and installing a flat washer, spring, and another washer on the shaft. Then; tighten the nut. It is better to buy a longer spring and cut it to fit to get the right tension.
  • Broken motor magnets can be fixed with quickset epoxy and 1" C-clamps.
  • Buy some rubber grommets or stoppers to put under your screw mounts so that it limits the vibration and quietens the motor.
  • A motor skeg is great to use for rivers and easy to install.
  • Always put a safety chain from your boat to the motor mount.
  • You can repair a stripped out propeller hub with a bottle cap in a emergency situation.
Here are some of my pictures to help elaborate on a few of my experiences.

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 03-06-2012 at 02:03 PM..