Thread: News Flash!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Jim,
I tried drifting and fishing spilling+2 generators several times last year and I did not even see a fish. Any tips or pointers? I worked the inside bends and pulled the banks pretty hard. I even used some huge flies. It was insane how much energy was in the water. I watched my fly sink and rise by itself several times.

I agree that this will be the new norm for winter and spring since they raised the winter pool level. The operating guide is useless if you use the years previous to this change. One negative I am noticing is heavy erosion on the banks in many areas. I expect to see many new trees parked in the river this summer.
You are right on several levels, the river banks do take a beating for sure. Their is some good news IMO however, and that is the didymo gets whacked by these flows while the long brown clinch moss does extremely well, and subsequently we usually have massive sulphur hatches on years following these events.

I have zero pointers for fishing these high flows. I like you have tried it over the years and had virtually no success. I have occasionally found a few fish up rising on the edges along Donnie's if it happens during sulphur season or later in the summer. But this time of year it is a total waste of time IMO.

Good luck, and wish I had some sort of clue myself as to how to catch fish at this water level.