View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 11:25 PM

Rod & company

One aspect not mentioned is SCOPE... the amount of line you are letting out behind the boat.

The greater the scope the better on heavy flows as the angle with the bottom becomes more acute and you are less likely to be dragged under.

I have mostly used 3 blade river anchors like the one Shawn has posted and the weights have ranged from 18 to 30 pounds..... wicked expensive to replace... too bad the rubber coating is not orange.

I have found that many times in heavy flows it is best to "feel" the anchor drag (by hand) until it catches then slowly pay out line until your angle gets very acute instead of just tossing it out and hoping to catch bottom.

A couple times I have filled my tee-shirt with rocks as a temporary anchor after donating one to the river. 100 feet of 3/16 rope is cheap enough to have stowed on-board and it's very strong as I used it on my Tracker Inboard jet for years, a very heavy boat not really suitable here so I sold it.

I have ALWAYS told everyone aboard that nobody stands up until the anchor is hooked and I say it's safe... nothing worse than coming up hard on the anchor... people get tossed around and gear gets broken when they fall on it.

I strongly recommend electric winch anchor systems as they stow the line and you can still row, use an electric or an outboard while retrieving line.

BTW.... I have a big assed hammer drill if anyone wants to drill a hole through a big rock to use as an anchor!

Last edited by Corbo; 03-18-2012 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: schpelling