Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Middle Prong 3/6/08

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Middle Prong 3/6/08

I had alittle time to kill yesterday so I stopped by the fly shop to pick up a few flies that I was running low on and it being so beautiful desided I would give the middle prong a shot. The water was high and cold and being the hardheaded young fellar I am I wasn't to worried about it. I trudged on in and started fishing. I managed 1 3 inch bow. The longer I stayed in the water the harder it was to stand and I had waded to the far side to fish a hole that I just couldn't resist. That's where the little bow came from but when I started back across I actually became nervous. I'm a fairly strong fella but the problem was I couldn't find a good foot hold with my feet being so numb it took some time to cross but I managed without taking a drink. No more cold, high water wading for me. It's just not worth it. BTW, I only had on 1 pair of cotton socks on because I forgot my big thick wool socks at home.

Nice...Was it a stock bow or a natural?

be careful out there guys.

Jeff

Default Huh???

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
    Nice...Was it a stock bow or a natural?
    I didn't think they stocked any fish in the park. Am I mistaken on that one?
    Greg Wagner
    President
    Briar Patch Shooting, Angling, and Liar's Club

Looked all nat ural to me. I have wondered if those stockers were put in below the weir dam in Townsend to keep them from running up into the park.

It was, in all probability, a wild fish. The occasional wayward stocker swims into the park from the outside, but they stand out - not as colorful and definitely not as strong. At three inches, I doubt it was a stocker - they generally put them in at a larger size.

Quote Originally Posted by ijsouth View Post
    At three inches, I doubt it was a stocker - they generally put them in at a larger size.

Ha! That's funny! There's a one next to his 3 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gg1262 View Post
    I didn't think they stocked any fish in the park. Am I mistaken on that one?

I don't think so, but it is possible to catch one.

Read it again...it said he caught 1 3-inch bow...which means one fish that was 3 inches, unless the space was unintentional. A 13 inch rainbow from the middle prong would be an exceptional fish - there are a few, but not many, particularly after the drought, which seemed to knock off adult rainbows more than anything else...the only other possibility would be a stocker, but he would probably be fairly low on the stream to get one of those, and he didn't mention the location on his post.

Sorry guys. Yeah, that was 1 3 inch bow not a 13 inch bow. My personal best for bow in the park is a 11 1/2 incher out of the Middle Prong under the first bridge as I waited out a thunderstorm last year. She was colored nicely and had all her fins so I would guess she was native. I went to the second or third pull off last week. I don't count them anymore.