Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Middle Prong 3/6/08

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryville,TN
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Sorry guys. Yeah, that was 1 3 inch bow not a 13 inch bow. My personal best for bow in the park is a 11 1/2 incher out of the Middle Prong under the first bridge as I waited out a thunderstorm last year. She was colored nicely and had all her fins so I would guess she was native. I went to the second or third pull off last week. I don't count them anymore.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Covington, Louisiana/Cosby, TN
    Posts
    938

    Default

    11.5 is quite a fish, especially outside of Abrams. My best is a 10, out of the WPLPR, and it really gave me a tussle on a 2wt. If it had good coloration and fought well, it was probably wild. I hooked a few fish at Cosby, near the park boundary in November; they were larger than the typical fish there, and they were nothing but dead weight on the end of my line - no fight at all. In the same stretch, I caught a 7 inch bow that outfought all of them - actually stripped off some line...it was definitely a wild fish.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ijsouth View Post
    Read it again...it said he caught 1 3-inch bow...which means one fish that was 3 inches, unless the space was unintentional. A 13 inch rainbow from the middle prong would be an exceptional fish - there are a few, but not many, particularly after the drought, which seemed to knock off adult rainbows more than anything else...the only other possibility would be a stocker, but he would probably be fairly low on the stream to get one of those, and he didn't mention the location on his post.

    Wow, I've never caught a 3 inch trout, but then again, I fish in Townsend below the **** most of the time and have never ventured into the park. Man, I guess ignorance is bliss lol.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishNHunt View Post
    Sorry guys. Yeah, that was 1 3 inch bow not a 13 inch bow. My personal best for bow in the park is a 11 1/2 incher out of the Middle Prong under the first bridge as I waited out a thunderstorm last year. She was colored nicely and had all her fins so I would guess she was native. I went to the second or third pull off last week. I don't count them anymore.
    I've caught quite a few rainbows, but nothing else, that's why I'm starting to fish the park now. The aren't many browns in townsend...That and the fact that the are "no trespassing" signs every where you go to fish below the ****. I don't know why they even stock there because no one will let you fish these days in town. I'm going to enjoy fishing in the park, I believe. It will be like having my own huge fishing preserve. See you guys Thursday.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Covington, Louisiana/Cosby, TN
    Posts
    938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
    Wow, I've never caught a 3 inch trout,
    I've caught a bunch, some smaller than that - some so small, I wondered how they were able to wrap their jaws around the fly. The average size is only around 5 or 6 inches, which isn't really that much bigger.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
    I've caught quite a few rainbows, but nothing else, that's why I'm starting to fish the park now. The aren't many browns in townsend...That and the fact that the are "no trespassing" signs every where you go to fish below the ****. I don't know why they even stock there because no one will let you fish these days in town. I'm going to enjoy fishing in the park, I believe. It will be like having my own huge fishing preserve. See you guys Thursday.
    Here in Kentucky there are a couple streams like that too where the state stocks trout but all of the surrounding land is private and has no tresspassing signs on it. I just don't know why they taked the money they get from sale of fishing licenses and use it to stock other people's private fishing waters. I'll never understand that practice.

    I'm sorry to see it happen in Townsend too. The good news is the park is private property for everyone and since we all share ownership, we can fish there.

    As for small fish in the park, there are those days when 3" would be a blessing. Check out this monster from up around Tremont last summer.


    Jeff

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Posts
    800

    Default

    That's a size 6 PA and you have really big hands.....my guess would peg him at about 8", right?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Wow, that is a little depressing. I was hoping that I could catch at least 10 inchers on a regular basis...Oh well...Maybe I'll get one on occassion.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Crossville, TN
    Posts
    2,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
    Wow, that is a little depressing. I was hoping that I could catch at least 10 inchers on a regular basis...Oh well...Maybe I'll get one on occassion.
    Don't worry about size, there are plenty of 10 inch and better fish. Now if you want to worry, figuring out how to catch them might be tough...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

    Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog
    contact: TroutZoneAnglers at gmail dot com

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Good point.

Similar Threads

  1. Middle Prong 3/21
    By Kris in forum Smoky Mountain Fishing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2015, 09:18 AM
  2. Middle Prong 3/7
    By Kris in forum Smoky Mountain Fishing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2015, 06:21 PM
  3. Middle Prong LR 3-27
    By Grannyknot in forum Smoky Mountain Fishing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 08:46 AM
  4. Middle Prong 6/28/09
    By wynnsman in forum Smoky Mountain Fishing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 10:41 PM
  5. Middle Prong
    By Blue Max in forum New Members Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 02:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •