Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Middle Prong 3/6/08

Quote Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
    Don't worry about size, there are plenty of 10 inch and better fish. Now if you want to worry, figuring out how to catch them might be tough...
    When one of you guys (and gals) figure out how to catch them, please send me a note. I'd love to know the trick.

I did manage one brown that went 9" last spring. It was on my first fly fishing trip in GSMP. At the time, I thought it was just a decent fish. I did not realize how unusual it was. I didn't even take a picture because I thought it was about an average to smallish fish.

Now, several trips later with nothing even close, and being active on this board, well, I know it was a pretty decent fish and was worthy of far more excitement than it generated.

The next one I catch that big is going to be the star of its own movie and will gain much fame from having it's beautiful face posted on this message board.

(notice I said the next one with absolute confidence there will be a next one!!!)

Jeff

Chances for a larger brown will come more often in the fall....largest I have landed so far have been a 12 and 14" high above Elkmont.....lost one I know was bigger but couldn't turn him with the 6x I was fishing with....and best of all they have all been while fishing dries....gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    When one of you guys (and gals) figure out how to catch them, please send me a note. I'd love to know the trick.
    If you want to up the odds, fish nymphs or streamers on Little River...I usually throw double nymph rigs to up the odds even more and fish high percentage water in and close to the large pools... I still can't break the 20 inch mark but I know where the fish are...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Default Well...

I am not too upset that I can catch some 10 inchers on a regular basis over here on this side of the Park(NC). I've had my fair share of 9 plus speckles. Biggest I have caught though is a 12 inch rainbow right in front of the Palmer house in Cataloochee, followed by a 11 incher out of the same hole...I love fishing in a Thunderstorm in the Park.

Don't like it when it's lightning but one of the best days I ever had in the park was during a heavy rain....went to a wet fly....lead wing coachman....and was catching fish on every cast for as long as it rained.....